- Parks & Recreation
- Recreation Programs
- Summer Recreation Program
- Summer Recreation Program FAQs
2022 Summer Recreation Program FAQs
Parent Information Sheet
The City of Las Cruces welcomes you and your children to our program and will make every effort to accommodate the growing demand for recreational services. Our goal is to provide a safe, active, and fun environment for your children during the summer.
Grade requirements for this program: Kindergarten – 5th Grade (just completed).
- Children must be able to attend at least 3 days out of each week. We can not save spaces for children who do not attend regularly. If your child is absent three (3) or more consecutive days within a one-week period, your child may be dropped from the program. In order to avoid this, please inform the site Lead staff if your child is going to be absent.
- The summer program runs 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday. Parents may drop children off at 7:45am. The City of Las Cruces is not responsible for children dropped off earlier than 7:45am.
- Pick up time is 5pm. Please be respectful of being on time.
- Children will be expected to participate in a variety of physical activities. Parents, please make sure your child is wearing comfortable clothing and appropriate shoes.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided free of charge. Please encourage your child to eat the nutritious meals provided.
- Please send your child with water in a refillable water bottle every day.
- We are planning field trips and a permission slip must be signed for each trip. No child will be allowed to attend a field trip without a signed permission slip.
- Children will not be allowed to bring outside toys, personal devices, etc.
- Cell Phones: The use of cell phones or other electronic devices during the program are strongly discouraged. Each site will have a cell phone assigned to it in case parent needs to get in touch with program. The City of Las Cruces is not responsible for the loss of any personal cell phones or other electronic devices.
- Medication may only be administered by a parent.
What time can I drop off/pick up my child?
7:45 is the earliest and 5:15 is the latest.
We know things happen and encourage you to save the site phone number to communicate with staff in case an issue arises or if your child will be absent. Site phone number will be available on day one of camp.
Why can’t my child only attend only one or two times per week?
Children must be able to attend at least 3 days out of each week. We can not save spaces for children who do not attend regularly. If your child is absent three (3) or more consecutive days within a one-week period, your child may be dropped from the program. In order to avoid this, please inform the site Lead staff if your child is going to be absent.
When are breakfast and lunch served?
Breakfast 8:00am until 9:00am. Lunch 12:00pm until 1:00pm.
The meals are provided by FYI, and they also provide meals for the community at large; at times, they may run out; so please have your child there during the serving times.
My child is picky about eating, what can we do?
We encourage participants to eat meals provided. If your child is picky when it comes to food, we suggest sending them with a “healthy” lunch and snack. We do not allow unhealthy snacks (i.e.; Hot Cheetos, sugary items, sodas, candy, etc.)
What are the daily activities the kids will be doing?
Our participants will be doing a variety of outside physical activities during the day (weather permitting), so please make sure your child has sunscreen and proper footwear. Flip flops can be packed with swim gear on swim days. Proper swim attire is required for field trips to the aquatic facilities. Our participants will some have down time after lunch. We will ask them to read for at least 30 minutes.
What is the cost of the field trips?
Each field trip will vary in price. You will be notified of the cost of each field trip as soon as the logistics are confirmed. Please keep in mind your child may want spending money for souvenirs as well.
What if my child misbehaves or is aggressive with another child?
Our priority is to provide a safe environment for all of our participants. We will not tolerate any type of aggressive behavior or bullying.
What are the qualifications or criteria for Summer Rec staff?
Summer Rec staff have been vetted by the City of Las Cruces, background checks, drug screening and references are thoroughly checked. They are CPR/First Aid certified and have Defensive Driving training.
What will campers be able to do?
Summer 2022 will be amazing and magical! For returning participants who know and love Summer Recreation, many favorite activities and experiences will be the same, and some things will look very different.
All participants will be able to build a fort, play kickball, enjoy making a piece of art, play outdoors in the sun, play silly games, interact with your friends and still have adventures this summer. Unlike other years, these activities will happen within a schedule that ensures that shared areas are either sanitized or sufficiently vacant between groups.
Why are we doing enrollment by lottery?
We may have a high demand for available spots and need to provide every family a fair opportunity to get in.
We know that many families have complicated work and distance learning schedules right now, and do not feel that offering registration on a first-come basis gives equitable opportunity to register to all families.