- Municipal Court
- Security, Screening and Proper Court Attire
Security, Screening and Proper Court Attire
Security in the Las Cruces Municipal Court is provided by a firm contracted by the City of Las Cruces. The armed guards work within guidelines established by the Municipal Court.
If you are visiting the Municipal Court for the first time, please take note of items that are NOT allowed in the courthouse. The guards will ask you to return to the courthouse without the items and CANNOT keep or store any of the items for you while you conduct your business with the Court.
- Purses or bags
- Weapons of any kind
- Cell Phones
- Laptops or Tablets
- Sharp Objects
- Any electronic device
- Cigarette lighters or matches
Also, be aware that you will be required to step through a metal detector and possibly have to remove a belt or any metal object that you might be wearing as part of the security screening.
Proper attire is required in Municipal Court. Examples of unacceptable attire in this courthouse are:
- Overly wrinkled clothing
- Pajamas, slippers, and flip-flop type shoes
- Sweatpants and Track Suits
- Sagging pants below the waist
- Spaghetti-strap tank tops or crop tops
- Men’s A-shirts or undershirts
- Hats are not allowed in court
- Short skirts (skirts should be at or below knee level when standing)
- Sunglasses, hoodies or other obstructive garments
Why can't I bring my cell phone or computer into Municipal Court and I can at another court?
Answer: Those courts are state or federally operated courts who have mandated law enforcement agencies who provide their security. Their screening equipment allows them to check bags & secure the court differently than what is provided to the Municipal Court.
We apologize for any inconveniences but providing safe access to the judicial process is paramount to meaningful participation and thorough screening is needed to provide that to all patrons at the Municipal Court building.