Teen Connection 2023-2024
Our educational and recreational programming is centered around five program areas:
- Fitness and Outdoor Fun—Providing opportunities to move and exercise through team sports, cooperative games, and outdoor adventure activities.
- Education and Technology—Supporting students in their educational goals through homework support, nutrition education, and introduction to computers, gaming, and technology.
- Service and Civic Engagement—Involving teens in service opportunities that benefit their community; helping youth to find and use their voice through community involvement and fostering leadership.
- Prevention and Life Skills—Facilitating teen discussions and educational presentations with guest speakers to promote prevention, teach life skills, and develop communication skills and healthy social behaviors.
- Arts & Culture—Incorporating arts, music, and cultural programming to encourage new experiences through multiple media forms and understanding through exposure to different cultural perspectives.
Educational Opportunities and Community Engagement
Teen Hikes and Outdoor Adventure
Online registration will be available at www,lascruces.gov/Play (click on the "Online Registration" link). Registration will also be available at the following locations during regular business hours:
- Parks & Recreation Department administrative office, 1501 E. Hadley Ave., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.
- Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center, 304 W. Bell Ave., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
For information call the Teen Connection Program at (575) 339-5286
The program is free, and limited spaces are available and will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. The program start date is Wednesday, July 19, 2023, and will serve students from sixth to 12th grade.
The program is offered at Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center, 304 W. Bell Ave. Afterschool program hours of operation will be 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday to Friday and will follow the Las Cruces Public Schools calendar. During school breaks hour of program are 10:00am to 6:00pm.
Programming will consist of academic assistance, a nutritional component, various recreational and creative activities, guest speakers, and age-appropriate enrichment opportunities, in a safe and helpful environment. Special events for teens will be scheduled throughout the school year to provide all community youth an opportunity to attend.